In 2007, several mothers (and a grandmother too!) of children impacted by autism in the Central Pennsylvania area felt there was a need in our community to reach out to other mothers of children impacted by autism. In an effort to celebrate these special mothers and to explore and support the connection between a mother’s faith and her journey of raising a child on the autism spectrum, the Autism Mother to Mother Luncheon was created.
On a beautiful Saturday in April 2007, the Colonial Park United Methodist Church in Harrisburg, PA hosted the first Autism Mother to Mother Luncheon where 128 mothers of children impacted by autism were seated at tables set with the finest china, served an outstanding meal by a local chef, treated to a guest speaker and performances by a local liturgical dance group, and also received many surprises and gifts throughout the afternoon.
Autism Mother to Mother Luncheons:
- 2007 – Colonial Park United Methodist Church in Harrisburg, PA – Kathleen Bolduc, Guest Speaker
- 2009 – Christian Life Assembly in Camp Hill, PA – Ginger Taylor, Guest Speaker
- 2010 – Living Water Community Church in Harrisburg, PA – Kelly Langston, Guest Speaker
- 2016 – Chambersburg First Church of God in Chambersburg, PA – Emily Colson, Guest Speaker
- 2017 – Chambersburg First Church of God in Chambersburg, PA – Jennifer Shaw, Guest Speaker
- 2018 – Grand Point Church (formerly known as Chambersburg First Church of God) in Chambersburg, PA – Tahni Cullen, Guest Speaker
- 2019 – Grand Point Church in Chambersburg, PA – Kevin Brown, Guest Speaker
- 2020, 2021, 2022 – Not held due to the pandemic
This year’s luncheon will again be hosted by Grand Point Church in Chambersburg, PA on Saturday April 15, 2023. Our guest speaker will be Diane Dokko Kim. If you are the mother of a child with autism we would love to have you join us for this year’s luncheon! The luncheon is free to the first 200 mothers of children with autism to register, and we also provide free childcare during the event. Please note that seating for the luncheon and childcare spaces are both limited and registration is required. You are encouraged to register early, as both luncheon seating and childcare are on a first come, first serve basis. Seating for the luncheon will be limited to 200 mothers.
On Sunday April 16, 2023 at 2:00 pm in room B20 of the Grand Point Church, Brian Young, CFP®, with Comprehensive Financial Planning Group, LLC., will be offering an informational session that outlines the fundamentals to the financial planning process for families with a special needs child.